Next Course: UNDERSTANDING FIRE SERVICE CULTURE
8:00am to 5:00pm • Glendale Fire Station 21
The Fire Service Psychology Association is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Fire Service Psychology Association maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
We offer the following courses to mental health providers:
FIRE SERVICE CULTURE
- Identify cultural components specific to the fire service including performance standards, jargon, shift work, and barriers to treatment.
- Describe the complexities of firefighting including trauma exposure, challenges to interpersonal relationships, and organizational demands.
- Explain current trends in peer support and psychological services offered to fire departments and barriers to treatment.
- Identify psychological challenges most commonly recognized and researched in firefighter populations.
- Explain the contributing factors to suicide among firefighters.
Firefighter Intimate Partner Relationship Health
- Describe the diversity of family systems within the fire service as well as marriage and divorce rates.
- Identify challenges to healthy intimate partner relationships including unpredictability of the nature of work
- Explain the role of shift work on relationship dynamics
- Describe the nature of ambiguous loss for firefighters and their families on and off shift.
- Explain the effects of post-traumatic stress and impact on families including children.
SUICIDE IN THE FIRE SERVICE
- Identify current rates of suicidal ideation and completed suicide in the fire service.
- Describe the limitations in suicide research.
- Explain best practices to addressing a suicidal firefighter and implications for returning to work.
- Identify contributing factors to suicide among firefighters.
- Explain the relationship between occupational suicide exposure and firefighter suicidal behavior.
DIVERSITY IN THE FIRE SERVICE
- Describe the history of diverse populations joining the fire service as well as resistance faced during integration efforts.
- Explain the experience of culturally diverse populations working within the fire service.
- Identify current diversity trends within the fire service.
- Identify challenges to increasing diversity in the fire service.
- Describe ways to support the growth of diversity within the fire service.